Saturday, March 22, 2008

Oh Deer!

On Thursday afternoon, I wanted to go to Rita's with the kids for free water ice so we all bundled up and headed out. On the drive there, we unfortunately stumbled onto a deer that had just been hit by a car and was trying to get off the highway. Without going in to too much detail....the deer was not doing so well and there were several cars pulled over on the side of the road. As we passed by, my kids were about climbing over each other to see the deer. We pulled into Rita's and saw a family friend of ours and the dad said "Did you see the deer?!?!" I told him that we did and he said "I told my kids to look away but OF COURSE they didn't listen and looked right at the deer!" I felt bad that I hadn't told my kids to look away but really wasn't too worried about it......
We ate our Rita's and got back on the road towards home. Being NJ, we took the jug handle and started back down the road where the deer was hit. As we got close, I said "I don't see the deer anymore. Maybe it was able to get away." Kay says, "No Mom. It is probably up there where the cop cars are." Right!! "Oh Look", I say. "There it is in the grass!" Just as I tell them to look...as if, in slow motion, I see the officer raise his rifle at the deer.....
"LOOK AWAY!!!! LOOK AWAY!!!!" then, POW!!! Oh my WORD!!! All of the kids looked away but Jocelyn, who proceeded to freak out and tell me she was gonna throw up! I couldn't believe it!!!
Needless to say, I had a LOT of explaining to do for the boys who wanted to know why and how and all the other things that little boys would ask and also had to deal with Joce freaking out in the back, saying "STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!!!"
Never a dull moment in our family......

4 comments:

Jess said...

That doesn't sound like something that you see in Jersey - Michigan maybe, but not there! By the way - we'll be in town this week - we leave tomorrow after church. Maybe we can have the kids play one day. I'll call you.

Organized Chaos said...

Hey...I'm from MI and while I agree it would happen there (although probably with a handgun in the inner city) it is definitly something I would expect in South Jersey. Doesn't she know you guys are urban hicks!

I can't believe you stood in the cold to save $1.99. You and Katie! I don't have $$ to burn, but not worth it!

Is something wrong with me that I was totally laughing out loud at the deer story?

Dorrie said...

Oh, poor Jocelyn!! We passed a dear hit in the day as well on Marne Highway by Sacred Heart Cemetary. I'm sure the same situation happened there. We were fortunate enough not to go back that way!

We tried for the water ice after dinner..........ended up with McDonald's $1 sundaes (the line was over 1/2 hour wait......and it was freezing!!!)

By the way, have you started your book yet??

Josh said...

To organized chaos: To address the comment - I am originally from NJ and love my uban hick heritage. However, I now live in western MI, where I see deer run across the corn field in my back yard all the time.