Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Another good one!



This happened two days ago, but I am just getting around to sharing it with all of you. All you mothers of preschoolers.....feel my pain!!!!
Monday morning, we went to piano lessons for the girls. This would be a calm outing for the usual family, but for us, on Monday, it was slow torture. It is a 1/2 hour ride to the house, then an hour of lessons for the girls and then a 1/2 hour ride home. Needless to say, Nate was "fried" by the time we got back to the house. When we pulled in the driveway, I reached into the back,back seat and unbuckled him and said "Come on inside...it's FREEZING out here!" He proceeded to tell me that his "legs were broken". Uhh, no their not!! "Get out Nate!" It was too cold to stand there and argue (punish) him, so I, not so gently, "helped" him get out of the car. He proceeded to collapse on the frozen lawn and lay there. I, again, "helped" him get closer to the house. I picked him up by the back of his winter coat and drug (sp?) him across the lawn to the front sidewalk. I laid him down on the sidewalk and went inside, much to the chagrin of his siblings. "Mom. Aren't you going to bring him in?!" "No. He can come inside when he is ready. It wont be long." Ha-ha on me!!! I peeked out through the curtains to see him, still on his stomach, pull his hood over his head, button the snaps and pull his hands into his sleeves!! He was in this for the long haul. Zach was a little upset and asked if he could go talk to Nate. I told him "sure buddy. Tell Nate to come in for lunch." "Nate, come in for lunch. It is tooooo cold out here!" Nothing....nothing but sheer stubbornness!!! Kay was keeping an eye on him while I made lunch and she popped up and said "He's moving!!" But, he wasn't giving in yet!! He scooched his way to the front porch and sat on the edge there for about 3 more minutes. I was very surprised that he held on so long. Finally, he rang the doorbell!!! I said to the girls, "well, either it is Nate or it is a neighbor asking me what kind of mother I am to leave my almost 5 year old outside in 13 degree temperatures?!" It was Nate. Not a word was spoken about it when he came in. I figured that the cold 15 minutes alone outside was punishment enough!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!! Must be the LAWRENCE genes!!
--Mom

Jenn said...

hahaha!! Dont know if Marsh would agree with that!!

Amber said...

Wow...that sounds familiar. I think we have the same broken leg disease here--just no one stubborn enough to sit outside in the cold about it. :)

Jenn said...

Sorry Mom.....Marsh says he will take credit for it!! The Lawrence genes it is!!

The Maxwell House said...

so thats what i have to look forward to... awesome! way to not give in... (man i love how cute your kids are!)

The Hulfish Family said...

Oh my gosh - I was laughing so hard!! Little kids can put up with more than we give them credit for!

Jess said...

I'm impressed with the power of wills - way to not give in!

Organized Chaos said...

I'm glad my girls don't disobey like that...ahem.

Nice new look to the blog...everyone is changing their blogs, I like to think I started a trend.